Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Another First


Well, the reading in the ballroom of farmleagh went very well. I am assured by my mother, and my Fiancee that I was one of the best of the thirty or so poets who read, and they're not biased, honestly. Some real highlights were provided by the other Lucan writers who were there. It was a great evening, and the pace was perfect.

Another high point of yesterday was my first time talking to Pat McCabe, who gave an impromptu interview with Dermo B (if Triona can call him that so can I!). I use the term talking very loosely. I was there, and he talked, and I asked a couple of questions. It was a huge thrill though, he's one of the reasons for writing. Reading the worst bits of the Butcher Boy, felt like getting punched in the gut. It was so cool to hear his story, also the fact that he idolizes Dorothea Brande's "Becoming a Writer". A brilliant book about writing written in the 30's, it has a fantastic approach, and includes invaluable advice on the best types of typewriters out there...

On another front - think everyone should see what's happening in Denmark - it's a real shame - nice place - if I can just attach it... here goes - my first video on the blog - the first thing is getting irritating now right?

6 comments:

Domestic Oub said...

Heya Niamh... so, whats the etiquette here... do I reply to your comments on my blog on your blog, or to your comments on my blog, on my blog?

And if you can make sense of that...


And yes, I should have a lot better things to be doing with my time!

Btw, your mammy and Donal were correct, you were excellent at Farmleight. Your poem was excellent and you read brilliantly!

Anyway, if you want to change your pic try this...

log in

Customize (to the right)

Layout (to the left)

Edit the header :)

Niamh B said...

Hiya - thanks for that, yeah I think we should get a system going. Like I comment on your blog - then you text me, then I send you a facebook message, obviously that would be best responded to with an email, and finally I would send a well trained dog over to your house with a little barrel of brandy and a message in his mouth - waterproofed of course! Tis a bit strange. Thanks for the kind comments, and the blog advice, think I've already tried that, but I'll try again...

Domestic Oub said...

Love the new pic :)

you may want to change the text colour for comments and titles though as they are blending into the background!

Have you checked mine out, change the colour of mine too... lol.. I really should get a life!

Anyways, I shall release the pigeon to wing this message to you...

Domestic Oub said...

btw love the video clip - make me laugh out loud :)

Colm Keegan said...

Well Done on your reading Niamh. As an objective observer I can say your poem most definitely stood out on the night. Sleep is the new Heaven!

Niamh B said...

Shucks, thanks a mill... I'll be quoting you all on the sleeve of a book some day!