Thursday, November 27, 2008

At the White House


No - it's not the political commentary promised in the earlier post - just a bit of "in other news" news - that being that Lucan Writers had a great night last night at the White House Poetry Revival night in Limerick. I read first, mainly because I was the most nervous - my second public reading ever. I think I'll keep count - and bore the audience every time by telling them what count I'm on if I get any chance at all, "This is my 17th time reading in public" - I can imagine kind of underwhelming them with that info. Anyways it was a great night, everyone read really well, the crowd were magic - most of them were talented poets themselves as they demonstrated at the earlier part of the night - and they were super nice.
I have to report now on a strange phenomenon - I have no hangover - yet. I'm feeling fine, domestic goddess like I've done the shopping and started cooking a fabulous roast since driving all the way back across the country, and beginning to wonder if there's some truth in the "Excess" skit by Armando Ianucci, (you'll have to check it on youtube - not because I'm too lazy to stick it in, I did try... really) maybe too much alcohol and too little sleep are actually the perfect way to freshen yourself up. I certainly hope so. Ah it's probably just a sneaky 2 days later kinda hangover.

5 comments:

Domestic Oub said...

My hangover hit about an hour ago. I'm being obnoxious. the family who were thrilled to see me back a few hours ago, are now wishing I'd go away again.

Niamh B said...

Go to bed, It'll be better tomorrow - am just beginning to wilt now meself

Domestic Oub said...

ok mammy. Wish Donal a happy birthday from me!

Emerging Writer said...

That's great. How d'you land that gig? It's along way from Lucan...

Niamh B said...

There's an open mike there every wednesday, then they have an invited guest after that - this week we were that guest. It was because one of our members had read brilliantly a few times on the open mike spot and had been telling the organiser about us, so then we got the invite. It was a really nice gig. We were thinking we should maybe look into doing something similar in West Dubland. Will keep the posts posted if we ever do anything on that.