Thursday, January 8, 2009

On wanting to be the BEST


I don't mean in a Tina Turner "Simply" kinda way. I just noticed last night, that I had an overwhelming desire to be the VERY best participant that my Aquafit class has ever seen. I don't know what it is; maybe it's all the extra exercise I've been getting lately, (remember a walk and a disco in the last month alone!!), or it could just be the lack of heart I'm feeling with the aul book, and the knowledge that's slowly creeping up on me that I might still be another while away from the Nobel Prize for literature, like it'd be pointless buying a dress for the acceptance speech just yet. But I do want to be best at something, and maybe last night I had a bit of a "Moment of Clarity" where I realised, I could indeed be the best at something.
So I pointed my toes more than anyone when doing the scissors kicks, imagined I was back in ballet when doing the sideways leaps - so gracefully, I was even making up my own moves to the music when the teacher was going too slow at the handover, and god did I ever feel superior to the people who didn't get it, the ones who didn't move forward when they should have, I jogged on the spot behind them with the patience of a SAINT... But I was the best, ask anyone, they'll tell ya, course I can't be sure because you can't actually see what the people way over on the other side are doing, but I was DEFINITELY the best on my side of the pool. Hell yes.

No comments: