Saturday, February 14, 2009

Confidence or Stupidity?

Memory of my Lover


Every old man I see
Reminds me I could have him
When I could have most anyone
My little heart desired.
That man I saw in Patrick Street
Stumbling on the kerb was one,
He stared at me wild-eyed,
I might have been his Hon.
And I remember the musician
Faltering over his fiddle
In Ballincollig, Cork,
He too set me the riddle.
Every old man I see
In any-coloured weather
Seems to say to me:
"I was once your lover."


I think my biggest problem, If I were ever to be out there "on the market" again would be an oversupply of confidence. I just have too much. That makes me sound like a pain in the ass, and maybe I am, but I'm admitting it here for the sake of the whole world (y'see I'm that important - the whole world is depending on me) - you'll see why in a minute. I think I'm brilliant, to the extent that when I meet a new guy I'm always searching in the first five minutes to find the gentlest possible way to let them know I'm taken. It's only fair, I think to myself.

The reason I feel I have to talk about this is that the whole economic mess the world is in, is due, in large part, to lack of confidence. Greedy confident guys playing games with money, turning into Greedy scared guys. There's still the same amount of stuff in the world, same amount of energy, same amount of Greedy guys but suddenly we're all poor because no one believes anymore. It's like with Tinkerbell - you just have to believe.
My three pronged approach to building confidence is as follows:
1. Be lucky enough to have people (or even one person) around you who believe in you, my family, friends, main squeeze - all think I'm brilliant, and have even said it to me "You're brilliant" they say. It's a big part of it.
2. Do things that scare you as regularly as possible. When you attempt things you're not sure you can do - EVEN if you fail miserably - and especially if you don't - you'll feel great for trying. This doesn't include really scary things, like with real danger - I'm not recommending those at all. I'm saying it's a bit like taking exercise - If you risk bruising your ego - even if you do, it'll end up stronger.
3. Be Stoopid. You have to be gullible enough to believe it, when you're told you're great, even if it's you doing the telling. You have to buy it.

If confidence is a type of stupidity though - is it ok? It's liable to shattering from time to time as well - like an alzheimer's patient, suddenly realising it's not the 30's, I sometimes wake up and wonder - am I all I crack myself up to be? but then I just rebuild the little wall of Stupidence and happily go on my way. Is there a way we can apply these learnings to save the world? Anyone? Anyone? Or is the loosing of confidence actually a good thing - a sign the world is finally getting smarter? And maybe we should be happy about that?

Anyway - tis a bit o food for thought. Hope you have a happy and Stupident "Expensive piece of cardboard and chocolate" day.

No comments: