Monday, February 16, 2009

Saturday Night - Part 2


We also went to the fantastic Nighthawks - judged gig of the week last month - think it easily might've got the same title this month, on it's difficult second night. Hard to follow the first one, but follow it they did.

Ken Wardrop was there, introducing his painfully beautiful short film "Undressing my mother" - the only one of his on youtube is "Useless Dog" another great one - starring his brother this time - check it out. He's great.

Kevin Power read from his novel "Bad Day in Blackrock". Mr Cushions-elect said the way he read was so authoritative and good it'd nearly make him read the book - I've read the book, so I already knew it was great.

We had the two comic geniuses James Marsh and Kieran Lawless, both of whom had great sets, no lows at all so far.

Then it's poet Colm Keegan's turn. He tells us the comics were funny, and he wouldn't be. He was right. He wasn't one bit funny. But he did kick ass, wipe the floor, and had everyone ready to follow him out into the street if he'd have said the word, with a brilliant rant against racism. Seriously - the police should watch out in case he tries to start a cult - he uses words to such effect.

Then we had the lovable loved up Carousel - she had a sore throat - but bravely made it on - beautiful sounds and great guitar.

Angry Norman too had medical problems, he's such a great character that he struggled through it to entertain the masses, backed by the ever reliable Monk and handlebar moustache man.

Finally out came Ciaran Smith/ part of Crayonsmith. He had me transfixed from the second he started. He held his guitar at a strange angle, and hardly moved his plucking arm at all, so that you could just see the ripples up his arms as he played, seeing the music forming in his flesh. I had a good seat. He had us all singing along to the most beautiful version of a song, and I'm really annoyed I can't remember what song that was - and I can't even guess and pretend I know cos I'll be picked up on it, but it was definitely a shiver up your spine kinda moment.

The Cobalt is a beautiful venue for a beautiful night out. Especially if you have a seat, there's a great sociability to the place. Don't you dare try to go ahead of me next month. It's a tough place to get a ticket to. Worth it though.

2 comments:

Domestic Oub said...

how peculiar... I've been commenting on blogs, but they've been dissapearing... this is my second comment here... let see what happens..

Niamh B said...

that one got through alright