Sunday, March 22, 2009

Fairweatherfandom


Yes, the greens won something, so I was sure to join in, go along to support them coming home, like the hippocritical fair weather fan that I am. Giving in to the pull of the mob, the attraction of all being in one place, having seen the same thing, cheering together for an achievement, replayed on a big screen, like a bunch of trained seals we waved our free flags from the sponsor, that weren't secured onto the little lollipop stick flag poles by anything, so that most ended up on the ground.

It was nice. The togetherness, in happiness. Until..... a girl with big hair and a tiny jewel collared dog positioned herself so her hair was all that two or three of us could see, obliterating the sky she was standing so close. And then.... when the team came out, and I had to ask was it them, cos I didn't know them in their clothes, and the sound was gone on the loudspeakers, so we hadn't a clue what they were saying, and people were shouting "Speak Up" in Monty Python accents, and roaring "I paid my TV license" for no apparent reason at all. And the happiness went slightly astray, and we all felt a bit pointless, and sad. Then Bow sang Black Velvet Band, roared into the mike, so we could actually hear it and we all joined in, watching the big screen to see his image catching up slowly with the sound. Ah yes, must watch more sports, sports are great, and not at all boring. Lads, on the team, I know you probably all read this, so well done, and make sure the sound is sorted for the homecoming next year.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thought I saw you in the crowd alright, thanks for coming along, really appreciate you taking the time out of your busy schedule

BOD

Anonymous said...

Yeah it really gave the lads a lift, they're all such big fans of the blog

DK

Niamh B said...

Not at all lads, twas my pleasure

Colm Keegan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

bleeding d4s stole my thunder. Bernard

Anonymous said...

Niamh, you shoulda texted me and I'd have sorted it for ya.

Bernard, you could have come to the party too. There's no need to be all bitter and twisted about it.

ROG

Anonymous said...

Couldn't be at the 'posh' celebration so thanks for drawing the picture. Have been in cardiac unit since O'Gara's last score, luckily unconscious before the missed penalty. Should be out before next round of the Chamions League. (Didn't Mary M get loads of kisses for a common President? Poor Willy didn't get a single hug)DQ

Niamh B said...

DQ - happy to have been of assistance, actually that's a photograph... ;-)

Bernard - congrats to you too, but there's no need to be all jealous, I'll try and make your reception too.

ROG - apologies - didn't think you'd have your phone on

Anonymous said...

Roight, Niamh, loike, Keily's now, I'll get the britney's in.

B O'D

Niamh B said...

I'm so there BOD, Roysh - but the Kens are on me,