Friday, June 19, 2009

An Inaccurate Prediction


15 years and 5 days ago, when I was 15 and 5 days of age, I made an inaccurate prediction which I only remember now, because I wrote it down in my diary.
I was at a fluffy stage in my life, when I believed in predictions/ magic/ mysticism or whatever you want to call it. I'd be in the shower and I'd say "Oh my god this time tomorrow something life changing is going to happen," lo and behold the next day at that time I'd have completely forgotten about it. Anyway - this particular day I looked at my watch, sat down on the bed in my room, and said to myself: "I am exactly half way through my life"
I wrote it down because I thought it would be good to remember it, to see if I was right, worked out the time and everything - 19th June 09 at 10.45 pm my life was to come to an end. That prediction was inaccurate, even though it's not 10.45 yet I know it's wrong because I got the day wrong - thought it was going to be a Saturday, (and of course because I haven't yet won the booker or hosted the late late).
However stupid predictions do sometimes have their uses, and any time I've been scared for the latter half of my life I've been able to recall it and think "no, I'm not going to die now, I'll be fine" - I could do a whole nuther post on the times I've had to use that calming technique. So, what to do now? Face a life of uncertainty and indeterminate length? I don't think so, instead I'm assuming that I got the fraction wrong somehow - (even though I was always vert good at maths, it's a possibility), so maybe I was only a quarter of the way through. Therefore I can live a completely fear free life for the next 30 years and 10 days, tune back in 2039, June 29th to find out how it goes!
Needless to say I am doing nothing exciting or life threatening tonight!!
Any stupid predictions made by anyone else out there??... particularly any useful ones?

5 comments:

Niamh B said...

well everybody - it's 23.49, and despite taking part in several knife throwing acts, 2 bungee jumps and several rounds of jenga, I'm still here, roll on the next 30...

Drama Queen said...

Occasionaly, (only very occasionally) I have felt absolutely sure that I was going to win the lotto. Now and then I have strong presentiments of disaster.
Sadly (on the first one) and happily (on the second) not one of them has ever come to fruition.
Do you think I am unpsychic? (or maybe just sick!)

Niamh B said...

I get that winning thing a bit as well...
I don't think you're UNpsychic, maybe just a bit psychically challenged - maybe in other parallel universes you were absolutely right every time. Did I say I'd been at a fluffy stage? Don't think I ever fully got out of it!

Anonymous said...

Oh, and I am often quite sure that I will win a writing competition - sad, isn't it?
Luckily in all other things - especially arguments - I am absolutely right every time!

Niamh B said...

Yeah, in first year in secondary school I got quite nervous before they gave out the student of the year award that always goes to 6th year students. I was convinced I was in the running...
In fact I think I just might win tonight, even though I never got the shortlisting nod, sure that'd only a formality...