Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Highlights & Lowlights on monday nights...


These guys (I never found out who they were, but anyone who mixes James Bond and Mozart can't be all bad) were one of the big highlights of last night's launch of "Kay's Book" - an anthology of 8 new short stories in memory of Kay McDonnell, organised and published as the culmination of a short story competition by South Dublin County Council, with a very warm speech about the lady in question.
Other highlights included the warm mince pies, warmer mulled wine, two copies hot off the press of said book with one of my earlier short stories "The Quest" printed proudly therein (it's so lovely to find a home for a story, and this is my first proper short to find a home... a happy moment), nice chat with an inspiring Catalan Poet, and catchin up with a diva.
Lowlights included my genius story not winning first place, it also not winning second place, finally going on to spectacularly fail to win third place, and the lowest light of all perhaps being me telling inspiring Catalan poet that I thought I remembered meeting her last year at Patrick Kavanagh's reading in the Irish Writer's Centre. (It was Pat McCabe I was thinking of... I'm bad with names) (really seriously bad)...
Congrats to the winners, who were - Anne Hennessy in first, followed by Kevin Shannon, and finally Brendan O'Leary, and I am looking forward very much to enjoying their work on a sofa near me soon...

11 comments:

Dublin Dave said...

Congratulations on your nomination and getting the story published - will look forward to reading it!

Emerging Writer said...

She's Catalan, not Spanish! Any idea who the quartet were? They were infectious.

Niamh B said...

Thanks Dave
Thanks Emerging, have fixed that now! Obviously not great on names or Geography then. The quartet were amazing weren't they? I shall endeavour to find out for ye...

Totalfeckineejit said...

Competition compesmishon,it's all subjective when it comes to winners.You've got your story published in the book thats the main thing, congrats, enjoy it, it's a great buzz , recognition and compliment!

Is the group Motorhead?

Niamh B said...

Thanks TFE, hmmm Motorhead sounds like a band name alright, but now that I think of it, I think they might've been Radiohead - that would suit their jaunty attitude too...

(am trying to find out their real name for you, and will post it up here)

Colm Keegan said...

not winning is a pain. But I didn't realise you were published, sure that's a win in itself!

Niamh B said...

Uisce - not winning is not really all that bad... it is really nice to have another book to add to the ever growing pile (what's it 3 now?) that I have somethin in...

Domestic Oub said...

I didn't win either! Boooooooooooooooooooooo hoooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Niamh B said...

Oub - win some lose some... tis a nice looking little book anyway, another one for the shelf!

Emerging Writer said...

OK, I have him, http://www.sdublincoco.ie/index.aspx?pageid=939&pid=17629 Vladimir Jablokov and the Slovak Festival Orchestra. Check 'em out on Youtube. They're "internationally acclaimed" also in Tallaght

Niamh B said...

great detectiving EW! They are well worth checking out.