Friday, January 15, 2010

Friday Fright and Brian Conaghan on the Radio

Ok - so nothing to be scared of regarding the brilliant Brian Conaghan - apart from me looking decidedly silly - since I know very little about politics (one of his chosen themes) - but ye'll be used to me looking silly by now - and that's not something I'm scared of - god help me if I was because it is a regular enough occurance in my life.

Brian has written 3 novels and a book of short stories. He's currently working on his quirky short story book, "Starstruck". In 2007 he completed a Master of Letters in Creative Writing from the University of Glasgow where he was tutored by Booker Winner James Kelman and internationally acclaimed writer Margaret Atwood. Brian was co-founder of successful Glasgow Theatre Company, Vanishing Point, and has had his plays performed throughout the UK. He has been performing poetry for almost 20 years. His poems have appeared in a number of magazines and literary journals. He is also a core member of Dublin's Shoestring Collective, who promote and present developing talent in the James Joyce Centre, Dubland. His chosen theme this week is "Racism and Politics"
I'm scared of very little - thanks to my stupidence... the only things that really terrify me are genuine scary things - walking around longford in the dark, falling off something high, having heavy things fall on me, these things can usually also be avoided - which is nice....
Scary things that you can't avoid are scarier... For me - the scariest things are lost opportunities - things you'll regret that you didn't do, people you misread/ didn't give a chance to, times you didn't give yourself a chance in something/ judged yourself too harshly and therefore didn't do something that would have been worth doing - more suggestions for the scariest things to the usual address or in the comments puhlease...

2 comments:

Titus said...

The Exorcist. One big brother and his girlfriend snuck me into the cinema to see it when I was 11 and I didn't sleep until dawn for at least six months. Still scares the pants off me.

Niamh B said...

Oooh Titus, that's a bad big brother - actually worse than mine getting Child's Play out for babysitting duty - mam looked at the title and thought it would be fine - I chewed my teddy bear's nose off!