Thursday, August 18, 2011

Sack the TV, French radio rules!!

So I know I pledged once many years ago to quit the tv, because of a profusion of reading matter... well it didn't last too long. This time the motivation has changed - because of the day being already shortened by nappy trips, clothing changes, feedings, bouncings, playings etc, we figure the last thing we need is to lose any more half hours to Dr Phil, Judge Judy or even the beloved Fair City.
The telly has been turned off since Saturday night last, and I honestly think this time we may keep it off. We have more time in our days, get tired less early, and I've discovered the most amazing radio station over the interweb - it's called Fip, it's French - sometimes I haven't a clue what they're on about, but last night they played all of "The End" (the whole lot of it) plus some Reggae and some jazz in the space of 20 minutes - I just feckin love it - tune in and you'll get anything from eclectic 50's type quirky tunes, to classical music, alternative rock - it's brillo - click here. For example: Gems like this one about loving a cigarette don't come around that often - the singer collapses coughing at the end of the song...
Am also looking forward to listening to the Franny Mac stories here - thanks to Words A Day for that tip, I'll surely be listening to hers first, and I also have been enjoying our live Dublin talent, including the mighty 120 socks on the Glor sessions Ustream... all in all I don't miss tv much at all.

12 comments:

Louise said...

Sounds like your on to a good thing there - but you giving up fair city - speechless!

Dave King said...

Well done - you're a better guy than I!

Niamh B said...

Ah tis great Louise - I'm sure I'll be able to catch up again - it's not known for it's complex plot lines... :-)
Hope not Dave - being that I'm female and all!!

Titus said...

Yay! I did a six-month stretch once when I couldn't afford a licence (God, how law-abiding am I?).
Love the sound of the French radio, I shall quiz my French visitors in the morning and get the lowdown from le bouche de la cheval. I think.
Still so intrigued about Fair City.

swiss said...

i am only waiting for this year's vuelta to take place (and even then i could be watching it on eurosport player) and tv will be going the way of all things. i doubt i'll miss it. i will give the french radio a shot tho

Niamh B said...

Titus, come over on ryanair and book into a cheap hotel, just consult the tv schedule first, I guess there might be an omnibus at some stage that you can catch! LOL! you can then tell me what's going on...
you are officially the most law abiding person ever
Swiss - it's full of little gems and weird versions, yesterday's highlight was smells like teen spirit - with a faded voice in the background singing the hello hello bit, and foreground voice saying "allo allo"

Totalfeckineejit said...

You have a TV?! Cool!

Domestic Oub said...

Wow Niamh, you are my hero. I have pondered this option. I can see all the advantages. But when it comes down to it, if we got rid of the telly I'd have to parent my children and talk to my husband. Options too haorrible to contemplate.

Rachel Fox said...

I'm on and off with TV, as it were. Sure, a lot of it is crap but just now we're catching up with series 3 of 'Being Human'. It is superb!

We too have tried Fip - it is good.
x

Niamh B said...

TFE, don't worry - twill soon be obsolete anyway - tis an an a log
Oub - so wise - really you should be a life coach!!
Rachel - I believe the best creativity is going into tv nowadays too, since mainstream films seem to be complete drivel... so yeah it has its place, but Fip is a serious revelation - hoping we'll be as lucky again - I think we'll pick a different country every week or fortnight and try and listen in to them!! It even inspired us to have crepes for dinner (and desert) one of the days!

Niamh B said...

ok - so I had em for desert first, then dinner

Niamh B said...

mmmm nutella