Thursday, November 17, 2011

Some things we learned

at the writing course I went to a few months back... gosh it's taking me ages to anything at all these days. Anyway here's a few of the pointable pointers from my notes

Imagine showing your work to the great writers... is it good enough? if not keep working on it - don't say "it'll do".
Every day you MUST open the dictionary - it's like washing your face, and even if you don't read a word, open it still. Words bring with them everywhere they've been - know their history if you can.
Author's judgements on the page make the author present.
A story can't just be about another sad case - make it matter, the reader needs to suffer with the character, need to find something new.
Give essential information as early as possible in a story.
You covet what you see, what's noticed by your character tells a lot about what they want.
Nothing in a short story can come to nothing - everything must have significance.
Imagine you are representing the character in court, you have to represent them fairly and honestly.
Self expression is what happens after 3 double whiskeys, great fiction is full of restraint.

Anyway - those are just a few of the things I thought were worth noting. Hope any of yez that are writers out there get some value from them.

5 comments:

Titus said...

I actually want 3 double whiskys now.

Elisabeth said...

High standards and great ideals but worth aspiring to.

Niamh B said...

me too titus!!
I thought so Elisabeth - unfortunately alot easier said than done, and it took me about 3 months even to say them here, so it's gonna be a challenge to actually do em I fear!

The Dead Acorn said...

I quit.

I suppose one can't quit before one starts, but I'm done. And I will see Titus from across the pond over a whisky.

Of course, then I'll be drunk and try to make words into sentences again. Damnit.

Niamh B said...

i know acorn, in fact maybe the lack of whiskey in my life of late has been partly to blame for the lack of writing...